Sunday, June 14, 2015

Making a First Person Shooter in Unreal Engine - Part 4

So I have finished working on the tutorial for a simple first person shooter on Digital Tutors, here is what I have:


Last time I finished implementing the last few things that would actually end the game and just reload the same level. This time I had to implement the event graph for a secret path that lets the player shave a few seconds of their time in the game. The picture above shows the network that does a few different things: it checks to make sure you entered/exited the trigger sphere for the door and another that actually makes the doors slide down.


The picture above is of the final state of the game. The green stop watch is the bonus pick-up that reduces the player's final time by 3 seconds and you can also see the target. These two types of pick-ups are spreed around the level and the player has to shoot them to activate them. You can also see your current ammo on the bottom left corner and your current time on the top right corner.


The picture above is of the final screen that shows the stats for the player. This breaks down exactly how much "real" time they took, any time reductions if they got the timer pickups, and the final time. It also tracks how many targets the player hit and how many were destroyed. For this game I made it so each target could only be destroyed if it was hit 3 times, that is why it shows that I hit 1 target, but didn't destroy any of them.

I found that in Unreal you can create a destruction mesh out of an object and you can have a mesh shatter to pieces. I have tried to create one out of the target mesh, but I haven't been able to do it on my own since this part isn't in the tutorial. I will keep trying to do it on my own and will make a post if I figure it out. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment