Monday, June 1, 2015

Making a First Person Shooter in Unreal Engine - Part 1

So I have to say that I am completely in love with Unreal Engine and I can't stop going through tutorials to learn as much as I can about the engine. I recently finished a couple of tutorials that showed me how to use Blueprints and Data Tables in Unreal Engine.

I have decided that I am ready to learn more about the engine and learn how to make a First Person Shooter in Unreal, all thanks to Digital Tutors. I really like their site, they have helped me out a ton recently and I only wish that I would have taken advantage of it a couple of years ago.

Anyways, I have now started to the lesson and have started to make make some functions in Unreal, mainly this one:


When you start the lesson, the world is already set up for us so it gives us time to concentrate on only making the Blueprints for the game play to work the way we want it. This node network was created to help us actually shoot from the gun we already have set up. Essentially we get the location of the center of the screen and do a line trace to check if we hit anything along the line. I know that its kind of basic, but I just really like that we are able to do all this using Blueprints and not actual C++ code.

At this time I haven't gotten too far into the series, but I will keep working on this as much as possible over the next few days. I image that this series will take me at least a week to finish since there are 40 lessons total, so hopefully I can work through them fairly quickly. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment