Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Working With Locators in Maya

So I finally went into Maya and split the ship into pieces just the way that the guys in the tech team wanted. This is so that they can use the different bounding spheres around the separate meshes of the model for collision detection. This way they don't have just one giant sphere with a ton of empty space.

Pace made a program that can draw the spheres around the models that we make to better give us an example of the "final product." But I noticed that even with the separate meshes, there is still a ton of empty space. I don't know if I have to separate the model even further or if I'm just missing something. I'll have to ask everyone next time we meet since I think that it might be a little to difficult to do it over email.

Also, during class the tech guys said that they wanted to have locators attached to the models that we give them so that they could use those points to attach pods to the ship. Sounds easy enough, but I've never actually worked with locators until today. I attached a total 13 locators to the ship for different kinds of pods like: lasers, engines, cockpit, and a few extras for the tech guys to play around with.

Ideally, they want us to model a laser gun (for example) and attach it to the ship. Then attach a locator to the gun so that they would know where a beam would be coming from. Also attach several locators that would function as pod slots for the ship so that the player would be able to choose what kind of pods would be equipped to the ship.

Also, I've decided that I will start to work on miscellaneous space debris since we have enough concept ships at this point. We talked about making a total of 9 ships that the player would be able to use, 3 ships for each faction or corporation in the game. Pace mentioned that we might want to make 2 more ships (one for each faction), these would be the "super ships" that would be unlocked towards the end of the game.

I still don't know what kind of space debris I will make, but probably not asteroids since they already have a ton of those in the current version. I'm thinking of making something like old space ships or satellites. Or if I'm feeling up to the challenge, even a space station.

But probably not.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment