Monday, February 25, 2013

First Thoughts on Metal Gear Rising

So I picked up Metal Gear during the week, and I've spent a big part of the weekend playing through the new Metal Gear game, and I have to say that I'm really impressed with the game. Its a huge difference from other Metal Gear games where you have to sneak around and be stealthy in your kills.

I was always a fan of Raiden, and it was a shame that he didn't get more screen time in MGS 3. But to make him the center piece of a game was the best thing that anyone could've done for Raiden. When I first saw the demo for this game a few years ago, it was really cool how they could split a water melon into precises pieces, which even now it still baffles me how they do that. Then there were no news from the project until I finally found out that it had been canceled, which was a real shame since it had so much potential.

A while later, I heard that Platinum Games had taken over the project, and it was amazing since I loved what Platinum Games did with Bayonetta and Anarchy Reigns. And they didn't disappoint, PG has a way of making their games with an over-the-top style that makes them kind of ridiculous, but not in a bad way. They make things really epic and they took that and applied it to Metal Gear Rising!

The beat'em-up style for this game works really well, and the core mechanic of slowing down time never gets old. It can be a little challenging at times to slice the enemy in the right place, but its a matter skill and practice.

I think that I'm probably a quarter of the way done with the game, but I don't know how many bosses or areas are in the game so there is no way of telling. All I know is that I've made it to Mexico and the cinematic for this area was really funny (see below for video). Hopefully I'll be able to finish the game soon, and keep writing more about the game. Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment